Saturday, October 13, 2007

Jalapeno Mushroom Sauce

This simple sauce is a spicy, southwestern version of a sauce chausseur.

Jalapeno Mushroom Sauce

1 T olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1 t white sugar
5 cloves garlic, chopped
3 jalapeno peppers, stemmed and sliced
1 pt sliced button mushrooms
1 t salt
1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
1/4 C white wine
4 T unsalted butter butter
3 T flour
1/2 C heavy cream
1/2 C milk


Saute onions with sugar in olive oil over medium heat until caramelized, about 20 minutes. Add garlic and jalapenos and saute about two minutes. Add mushrooms and saute until any released juice cooks off and they are browned, about 5 minutes. Add salt, pepper and wine and cook until wine is mostly absorbed, about 2 minutes. Remove mixture to bowl. Make a roux with the butter and flour over medium heat and cook until walnut brown. Whisk in milk and cream until well combined and heated through. Add onion mixture to pan and stir to combine.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

I found this recipe when looking for a recipe that combined mushrooms and jalapenos. I had white wine in the refrigerator so this was the winner! I don't use dairy so I substituted the milk and cream with soy milk. At first I thought I had failed but my boyfriend seems to love it so I guess it is a winner! But is it supposed to be sweet? Because it is way sweeter than I would have expected. It was a success and I will definitely be sharing it on my blog later this week! www.mamakbest.com

Thanks!

Kellie